Saturday, March 3, 2012

Subliminally Sublime

In my Mass Comm class, we talked about subliminal advertisements, and boy is it scary (and raunchy!). I've been aware of said messages since the mockery of it put on by the movie Josie and the Pussycats back in 2001, but nothing like what was presented in class. It reminded me of certain Disney movies that have secret messages, like in The Lion King when Simba is grown up and he sighs and collapses on the side of a clif and a puff of pollen or whatnot form "sex" in the sky very briefly.

Then there was the VHS cover for The Little Mermaid that went unnoticed from the public until a year after its release. The golden palace featured a phallus. 

Surprising, right?! Even Disney is part of the advertising conspiracy. A simple Google search will bring up all sorts of Disney "mistakes," like a nude woman in the background of The Rescuers, and much more. 
I titled my blog "subliminally sublime" not just because the words are pretty close and I'm being clever (hehe), but because these messages are really out-of-this-world! 


2 comments:

  1. Looks like someone is working on her final presentation for mass comm. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish! I didn't think of it until we talked about it in class. Blogging about it is good enough for me though!

    ReplyDelete