Saturday, January 21, 2012

But I don't Care!

Out of the 12 step process of good writing, the worst for me is step 11: Care. If I'm unable to attach myself to an assignment that intrigues me and end up with a sports piece, well, that's totally not my forte and not something I certainly care about. One way I can alter my thoughts on a piece I don't enjoy would be to realize there are stories that need to be told, and unless I don't get out there to capture quotes and facts, then no one will know. So better to sacrifice and learn and be open-minded than to just shrug and hope I don't have to go along with it.

As for something that's easy for me, that would be Step 2: Read. I do love reading, and I didn't realize that until I read a book in High School that wasn't for schoolwork. I try to take note of great writing, and I find that when an author adds his personality or humor, it adds color to it. I want to mimic that, because reading something dull makes me quit reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment